ARLINGTON, Va., July 20, 2023 (Newswire.com) - For the past 22 years, annual "Service Members of the Year" awards have honored one outstanding military member (active duty, Guard or Reserve) from each branch of U.S. military service who has gone beyond the call of duty. The awards are administered by Military Times and the Military Times Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit subsidiary of the Sightline Media Group.
Since 2019, the Military Times Foundation has donated over $15 million in cash and media value to support over 150 military and veteran service organizations, such as Fisher House, Children of Fallen Patriots, TAPS, Objective Zero and others.
This year's recipients include:
- Airman of the Year - Air Force Major Katie Lunning
- Coastguardsman of the Year - Coast Guard Lieutenant Chelsea Sheehy
- Guardian of the Year - Space Force Captain Victoria Garcia
- Marine of the Year - Marine Master Sergeant Kevin Haunschild
- Sailor of the Year - Navy Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Anthony Anglikowski
- Soldier of the Year - Army Master Sergeant Justin Bolin
- Veteran of the Year - Command Sgt. Maj. (Ret.) Lindsey Streeter
You can read their stories here.
The recipients were nominated by their compatriots and commanding officers. The Military Times Foundation selected recipients based on a number of criteria, including:
- Their recent actions in their military career have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
- Their Service recent personal experience highlights the changing needs and institutional agility that are essential to modern military readiness.
- They do significant off-duty community service work that highlights the non-institutional aspects of commitment to public service.
This year's recipients were celebrated at an A-list gala awards event, July 18, 2023, at the Ronald Regan Building and International Trade Center in Washington, DC, attended by congressional, military and community leaders. Sponsors of the event include Fisher House Foundation, Veteran Benefits Guide, National University, Humana Military, Elbit Systems of America, Leonardo DRS, SourceAmerica, Bank of America, and Capital Bank. Partners of the event include IHG Army Hotels, Delta, The Nationals, Titos Handmade Vodka, and Starbucks. Visit servicemembersoftheyear.org to see pictures or a recording of the event.
"We are proud to recognize these exceptional service members who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in their military careers and community service," said Michael Reinstein, Chairman of Military Times Foundation. "Their commitment and sacrifice embody the best of our armed forces, and we are proud to celebrate their achievements at the 2023 Service Members of the Year event. The Military Times Foundation remains dedicated to supporting military and veteran service organizations, and we are grateful for the opportunity to contribute to the well-being of our military community."
For more information on the awards, or to nominate someone for 2024, visit: www.servicemembersoftheyear.org
About Military Times
Service members and their families rely on MilitaryTimes.com as a trusted, independent source for news and information on the most important issues affecting their careers and personal lives including, branch updates, financial services, pay and benefits, healthcare, education, transition resources, and more. MilitaryTimes.com is a part of the Sightline Media Group who also owns Army Times, Marine Corps Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times, Federal Times, Defense News, and C4ISRNET.
Original Source: Military Times and the Military Times Foundation Celebrate the 2023 Service Members of the Year