DJI OSMO – KEEPS GETTING BETTER
As anyone who has followed my professional work has discovered by now, I love the DJI OSMO! If you haven’t bought one for yourself – grab one here now. Yesterday DJI released the new and improved firmware updates that do all of the following:
1. Consumption reduced, increasing Osmo battery life to 90 minutes for a total recording time of 70 minutes (80 minutes with Wi-Fi off).
2. Fan turns off automatically when recording video. To keep fan off during video recording, tap Mute Fan in the Audio Control menu. When activated, the fan will only restart to prevent critical overheating.
3. Video downlink optimized for enhanced live streaming.
4. Added Digital Zoom Control when recording video at 720p, 1080p and 2.7K. Put two fingers on the screen and pinch to zoom in, open your fingers to zoom out, or switch on Digital Zoom Control for fine control.
5. Control of Osmo tilt and pan axis simultaneously added by setting the joystick control direction to Free.
6. Fixed a problem of audio and video not being synchronized on some devices.
7. Added Portrait option to optimize portrait photography.
8. Optimized D-Log and D-Cinelike colors.
9. Downloading of videos and photos to mobile devices now three times faster.
10. Continuous photo capture by holding down shutter button added.
11. Added a key combination to turn on/off the Osmo’s Wi-Fi. Press and hold the trigger, then pull down the power switch, then release both power switch and trigger. Wi-Fi is off when the system status LED blinks twice. Repeat to turn on Wi-Fi. The Osmo will operate for longer when taking timelapse photos without Wi-Fi.
12. Note appears in DJI GO when trying to connect to an Osmo that is already connected to another mobile device.
13. DJI GO now displays the current photo instead of a live preview when shooting timelapses.
14. Audio control optimized to avoid audio distortion when recording in noisy environments.
15. Audio data loss when using some Micro SD cards under class-10 or UHS-1 fixed.
16. Double capture of the same shot when shooting panorama fixed.
17. Gimbal drifting reduced.
18. Joystick control optimized.
19. Horizontal calibration data saves automatically after powering off.
20. Single video recordings in high temperatures are capped at 30 minutes to ensure video quality.
(From DJI email on the subject)
After updating my OSMO, I can say that THIS is the OSMO that we were promised! WiFi now connects EVERY TIME you turn it on. There is digital zoom (in 1080 and 2.7k modes), mostly by cropping the sensor, I guess, since its not available in 4k.. The sound level meter actually works now! Still can’t find the ‘fan off’ button that was supposed to be there in the app, but that’s a minor annoyance. Bottom line – this is a MUST HAVE update.
The process for uploading the new firware to the OSMO is the same as the other DJI products – download and unzip the file, then place it in the root directory of your microSD card. Put the card into the OSMO and start it up. If the LED goes green after a few minutes – you are done!
The new firmware version is v220.127.116.11, and the link for the download is here: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/osmo/OSMO_FW_V01.05.02.00.zip